Dental fear and anxiety is very common among patients. Even the most compassionate dentists and the most comfortable offices can be no match for a person who has a deep-rooted fear of the dentist. Some phobias are associated with an early traumatic experience, other times it can be the fear of pain or of the unknown. Regardless of the reason, sedation dentistry is an excellent way for patients in Greensboro to receive the dental treatments that they need.
Often called “laughing gas” Nitrous Oxide is one of the most common forms of sedation. It is effective for patients with mild to moderate anxiety and involves the inhalation of the gas to help the patient feel instantly relaxed and calm and remain like this for the entirety of the procedure.
Benefits of Nitrous Oxide
- It can be effective in increasing a patient’s pain threshold if local anesthesia is not enough.
- Patients are still able to communicate with the dentist and follow any instructions given.
- It works almost immediately, typically within less than five minutes of being administered.
- Minimal recovery, patients are able to leave the office without any after effects.
IV Sedation is effective for patients with extreme anxiety or those who are facing extensive and complex procedures. It is administered through the blood and it requires the patient to have someone at the office with them to drive them home.
Benefits of IV Sedation
- The deepest level of sedation
- Helps even the most deep rooted levels of dental anxiety
- It is effective very rapidly, helping calm agitated or worked up patients
- Patients will have no recollection of their procedure
- Can allow more work to be completed in one visit
- Helps with muscle relaxation, which can drastically reduce fatigue experienced post-procedure
- Helps suppress overactive gag reflexes
At Triad Dental, you can assure that we do everything in our power to make sure your dental experience is relaxing and comfortable. For those who are fearful of visiting the dentist, we offer a variety of sedation methods to help you get the dental care you deserve. Call our office today to schedule an appointment, we’re happy to discuss with you the benefits of sedation dentistry and answer any questions you may have.
Back to Sedation Dentistry Page
Dr. Steven Hatcher
A graduate from the University of North Carolina, Dr. Hatcher
majored in biology and completed his undergraduate studies there. At UNC, he was awarded a cancer research grant from the National Institutes of Health after which he graduated from dental school.
Dr. Hatcher is a passionate and driven professional who strives to preserve and enhance natural beauty in every dental treatment. He is keen on developing an individualist approach when it comes to treating his patients to ensure patient care is a tailor-made experience for the comfort of each client.