Dental cleanings: Keeping smiles healthy and bright in Greensboro, NC
Good oral health begins with regular preventive care, both at home and at the dental office. With regular dental cleanings and check-ups, you can stay on top of your oral health and not just catch problems early but prevent them before they start. At Triad Dentistry in Greensboro, NC, our team of dentists and dental hygienists are equipped with modern tools and technologies and use the latest techniques to provide comfortable, high-quality dental care in our warm and relaxing dental office.
Why dental cleanings are necessary for everyone
With today’s hectic schedules, it can be easy to delay scheduling preventive care appointments like dental cleanings, especially if you are not in any pain or experiencing other dental issues. However, cleanings and check-ups are important for several reasons.
- Through a dental exam, we can detect any issues early on when they are easiest to treat
- If plaque builds up on your teeth, it can harden into a substance called tartar and contribute to tooth decay and disease; once tartar forms, brushing and flossing at home cannot remove it and the only way to get rid of it is through a professional cleaning
- Polishing your teeth helps reduce the surface area that bacteria and plaque can grow on, reducing the chance of cavities and decay
- We can answer any questions that you have about your oral health and guide you on the best way to take care of your teeth and gums
- Child dental visits lay the foundation for a lifetime of healthy dental habits
What to expect during your cleaning and check-up
Each dental check-up consists of several steps that are designed to keep your teeth, gums, and other oral structures in optimal health.
First, our dental hygienist will perform a visual and physical inspection of your mouth. Using a small mirror, we look at your gums, teeth, and other structures to check for any areas that may need close attention.
Next, the hygienist uses specialized tools to gently remove any plaque and tartar that have formed on or between your teeth. Some spots, such as the molars in the back of your mouth or areas where your teeth are crowded, may require extra time to thoroughly clean because they are more susceptible to build-up. After the plaque and tartar have been removed, we use a gritty polishing material and a specialized toothbrush to brush and polish your teeth. Throughout the process, we take breaks to rinse and suction the water out of your mouth for your comfort. Then, we floss your teeth to thoroughly clean between your teeth and remove any remaining polish and debris.
After your cleaning is complete, the dentist performs a comprehensive dental exam to ensure that your teeth, gums, and other tissues are healthy. With regular cleanings and check-ups, we can typically identify dental issues early on when they are easiest and least costly to treat. If any issues are detected, we provide you with guidance and information on your treatment options.
Other treatments that may be performed at your visit
Depending on you or your child’s age and oral health needs, we may also recommend that one or more of the following treatments are performed at a preventive care visit:
- X-rays or other images: We typically recommend that patients get x-rays once a year so that we can check on the health of your teeth and jawbone. X-rays enable us to monitor what is happening in the areas that are not visible to the naked eye and can alert us to developing issues before they become painful and more difficult to treat
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride is used to protect your teeth and help prevent cavities. The application is quick and easy, and you can resume your normal eating and drinking habits immediately after it is applied.
- Application of dental sealants: Dental sealants are a great way to prevent cavities in molars that have deep grooves and pits (such as the back molars). They are often recommended for children once their permanent molars have grown in. We can typically apply them during a routine office visit and the process is fast and painless.
- Oral cancer screening: While many people believe that oral cancer only occurs in tobacco users, the reality is that it can develop in anyone at any age. Oral cancer screenings are a good way to detect oral cancer in its early stages and are quick and pain-free.
Dr. Steven Hatcher
Dr. Hatcher is a passionate and driven professional who strives to preserve and enhance natural beauty in every dental treatment. He is keen on developing an individualist approach when it comes to treating his patients to ensure patient care is a tailor-made experience for the comfort of each client.
Schedule your dental cleaning today!
Whether you are trying to get your teeth cleaning scheduled in your busy calendar in advance or it has been some time since you have gotten a professional cleaning and check-up, the dental team at Triad Dentistry is here to provide gentle, non-judgmental care. Our number one priority is helping you achieve and maintain optimal oral health, and we offer a number of treatments to help you get there. To schedule a dental cleaning for yourself or a family member, call our Greensboro, NC office today at (336) 383-1482!