Dentist in Greensboro, NC describes the benefits of metal-free dentistry
Patients in the Greensboro, NC area who are interested in quality, comprehensive dental care with a practice that focuses on metal-free dentistry are welcome to learn the benefits of care with Drs. Steven L. Hatcher, Chad Merrell and Victoria Santiago-Coiro. These professionals offer solutions that are safe and appropriate for patients’ smiles.
Understanding metal-free dentistry
Patients who are interested in metal-free restorations and dental work are encouraged to ask our team about the benefits of avoiding the use of these materials. In the past, metals were regularly used for fillings and dental restorations, but over time, it has become a practice that many dentists have chosen to eliminate. Instead, we focus on the use of safer, more aesthetic materials such as composite resin.
What are the advantages of using composite resin?
- Natural appearance – composite resin is used a lot in dentistry because the material mimics the appearance and color of natural tooth enamel. When used on the teeth as a filling or as a restorative procedure, patients will be unable to distinguish the composite resin from their natural tooth enamel. This ensures a natural-looking restoration that does not stand out as obvious dental work.
- Maintains tooth structure – silver amalgam fillings require the removal of more tooth structure. Instead, our team utilizes composite resin that can be used as a filling when decay develops. It attaches better to the structure of the tooth and therefore requires less drilling to be done to prepare the tooth for placement.
- Restores strength and durability – patients who want a restoration that can restore and maintain the tooth structure and strength will also want to think about the benefits of avoiding metal restorations.
- Versatility – composite resin is an extremely versatile material that can be used in many ways in our dental practice. It can fill a cavity, restore the shape of a broken tooth, or cover imperfections such as gaps between the teeth. Because of this, it is often the first material chosen in many instances when patients need to improve the appearance of the smile.
- Safer – composite resin does not carry the poor safety and biocompatibility that metal and amalgam restorations do. Studies continue to show that patients are exposed to mercury when they have silver amalgam fillings in their smile. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can become a health concern for many patients. By avoiding the use of metal and amalgam restorations and using composite resin, our dental team is focusing on patients’ overall health and not just a cheap fix for a serious dental problem.
Who is a candidate for composite resin?
Metal free dentistry is available for all patients in our practice. We encourage those who are interested in restoring their smiles to ask about this and other ways to repair imperfections that may negatively impact the appearance, function, and health of the teeth. Our dentists will provide a consultation appointment and evaluation to ensure that the patients’ concerns are thoroughly addressed with safe and appropriate materials. In some cases, patients may have the ability to select from several treatment alternatives to pick the one that best suits their unique needs and their budget. A single appointment gives our dental staff the time to assess a patient and discuss treatment solutions.
Discuss your options for dental care with our team!
Dr. Steven L. Hatcher, along with Drs. Chad Merrell and Victoria Santiago-Coiro of the Greensboro, NC area believe in offering quality restorations that are appropriate for patients’ smiles. With our expertise, patients can rest easy knowing that they are receiving the best possible care. We welcome people to visit our practice at 2516-A Oakcrest Avenue by calling (336) 383-1482 for an appointment. Consultations are a great way to talk with our team, get to know our staff, and determine the needs of your dental health and wellness. Call today, and get started on your journey to a beautiful, healthy smile for life!