Dentist in Greensboro, NC offers metal free dentistry services for new and existing patients
If you are a patient in the Greensboro, NC area who is faced with restoring one or more teeth in your smile, you may want to take the time to learn more about the materials that are being used in dental procedures and the possible effects of those materials on their body. Dr. Steven Hatcher, Dr. Chad Merrell, and Dr. Victoria Santiago-Coiro are here to help you find ways to address imperfections of your smile with healthy, safe materials. Because of this, we are committed to providing metal-free and silver amalgam alternatives in our services.
Understanding metal free dentistry
Metal free dentistry, as well as mercury free dentistry, focuses on the use of biocompatible materials that are safe and appropriate for the smile. Metals and mercury are materials that can become problematic for many patients, either due to metal allergies or mercury toxicity.
- Not only do metal dental materials cause problems, but they often stand out in the smile because they have a silver color that doesn’t fit in with the rest of the teeth
- Metal restorations such as crowns can be an issue for patients who have metal allergies
- Fillings made of silver amalgam are toxic to the body, as they contain 50% mercury
By using metal free alternative, patients can ensure they are taking care of their overall health and wellness while keeping their smile attractive!
What metal free options are available?
In our practice, we frequently use porcelain restorations as an alternative to metal. Porcelain is a material that not only mimics the appearance of natural tooth enamel, but is strong and durable enough to provide strength and protection to tooth structures. Many of our restorations are made with this material, including:
- Dental crowns – Dental crowns are restorations made of porcelain that cover the natural tooth structure that is visible above the gum line. This is often done to disguise imperfections or to offer an extra layer of strength and protection for a tooth that may have become weakened or damaged.
- Dental bridges – When teeth are missing from the smile, dental bridges can be used to restore function and beauty. Dental bridges include dental crowns fused to false teeth called pontics, and are a wonderful option for patients to consider when they are seeking permanent yet affordable tooth replacement options.
- Porcelain veneers – Veneers are thin facings that our dentists fabricate from porcelain to bond over the front of a tooth with an imperfection. This may be done for teeth that are unusually shaped, gapped, or permanently stained.
We encourage patients to take the time to learn about the advantages of metal free and silver amalgam free dentistry services to focus on how the use of certain materials can affect their health. Holistic dental care is done to help the entire body, not just the smile. When we pay attention to what we are restoring our smile with biocompatible materials, we are able to achieve the results we desire while avoiding damaging our health and wellness.
Who is a candidate for metal free restorations?
Whenever patients have an issue with their smile, such as a chipped tooth or a tooth that has weakened due to a large cavity, it is important that they visit their dentist for an evaluation and to discuss their treatment options. Our professionals in Greensboro, NC will examine the smile and speak to patients about their dental care preferences. Then, we work with them to determine what restorations are best suited for their needs. With metal free restorations, patients can rest easy that the materials used to enhance their teeth are appropriate and safe. In addition, we are proud to offer affordable services for patients in the community. Our dentists are dedicated professionals in the area who are committed to helping individuals learn about the advantages of a smile free from harmful materials.
Call today to make an appointment with our team
If you live in the Greensboro, NC area and are interested in learning about metal free dentistry services for cosmetic or functional enhancement of your smile, we welcome you to schedule a visit with our team. At the practice of Dr. Steven Hatcher, Dr. Chad Merrell, and Dr. Victoria L. Santiago-Coiro, we are here to provide patients with ways to enhance their smile while avoiding unhealthy materials. Call the office at (336) 383-1482 or visit us in the office at 2516-A Oakcrest Avenue.