Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurtThere is a specific time in life when kids tend to experience a major growth spurt. For some, more than one time of accelerated growth will occur. Often, we see braces on the faces of kids in the general time in which growth spurts are more common. The two seem completely unrelated, but could they actually be linked?
Misaligned teeth affect a lot of kids’ smiles. In the office of your Greensboro family dentist, your child can receive early evaluation of the bite and the development of the jaw. Paying attention to the issue of misalignment early, before permanent teeth have all grown in, allows us to act in a preventive manner, aiding the expansion of the jaw while baby teeth are still present. This way, when the time comes to put braces on teeth, the process will go much more smoothly. When early care has been performed, it is possible to cut the duration of treatment time by several months.
Like smiles, misalignment is different in every person. There are several options for treatment available today, with many feeling most attracted to the aligner methods. Though there are cases in which aligners can achieve the desired outcome, it is important to remember the goal of orthodontic care is to place teeth in their best position in the jaw. In some situations, this will be best accomplished with traditional braces. You can rest assured that your dentist is most concerned with obtaining optimal results with the most comfortable treatment.
The timing for braces is typically arranged around the development of the jaw, when a child is between the age of 11 and 13. At this same time, however, the body is preparing for rapid growth, or the good old growth spurt. During a growth spurt, the ligaments and joints are looser than they would be otherwise, which means their hold on bones is weaker. This weakness is perfect for the movement of teeth.
How braces work
Orthodontic treatments of all kinds are designed around the principal of pressure. Whether with aligners or brackets and wires, consistent, gentle pressure applied to teeth move them from the grip of the periodontal ligament, which is located in the jawbone. As the ligament loosens around teeth under pressure, they can be moved to their rightful positioning.
Orthodontic treatment straightens the smile, improves bite function, and makes it easier to maintain oral health. Our dental team is happy to help your family enjoy their happiest, healthiest smiles. Call (336) 804 8668 to schedule your visit.
- Children's Dentistry of Greensboro - Children's dentistry in family practice of Greensboro delivers specialized treatment for younger patients
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Greensboro - Children and teens have a more pleasant experience with pediatric sedation dentistry in Greensboro
- Greensboro Pediatric Dentistry - Greensboro pediatric dentist provides oral care health tips for children
- Dentist for Children in Greensboro - Feel good choosing a dentist for your children in Greensboro
- Dental Cavities in Children Greensboro - Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteria
- Cavity Causing Food in Kids Greensboro - Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in Greensboro
- Misaligned Teeth in Kids Greensboro - Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurt
- Braces for Children Greensboro - Early evaluation for braces helps children in Greensboro enjoy happy, healthy smiles
- Oral Health and Childhood Obesity in Greensboro - Dentist in Greensboro describes the link between oral health and childhood obesity
- Causes and Treatment for Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) in NC - Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC area
- Care of Your Child’s Teeth and Gums Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes how to take care of your child’s teeth and gums
- Preventing Cavities in Stokes NC - Pediatric Dentist in Stokes NC advices children and parents on methods of preventing cavities
- Greensboro Dentist a Fun Place for Kids - Greensboro Dentist makes the practice a fun place for kids
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes ways of preventing childhood obesity
- Infant Oral Health Greensboro - Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area Dentist
- Your Child's First Dental Visit Greensboro - What you can expect during your child's first dental visit in our Greensboro Pediatric Dental Office
- Eruption of Your Child's Teeth Greensboro - Greensboro area
Dentist describes the eruption of your child's teeth
- What is the Best Time for Orthodontic Treatment
Greensboro - Greensboro area patients ask, what is the best
time for Orthodontic Treatment?
- Child Friendly Dentistry Greensboro - Seeking child friendly
dentistry in Greensboro
- Kids Dentist Greensboro - How a dentist in Greensboro
can help with your kid's toothache
- Pediatric Dentist Greensboro - When should I bring my
child in for their first pediatric dentist appointment in
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page