Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area DentistAs your child grows older, they are set to have a
beautiful smile, as long as their parents have
encouraged positive oral health habits along the way. Infant oral health is a common question from parents in the Greensboro area who speak with board certified pediatric dentist, Dr. Sona J. Isharani. During the first dental appointment for a child, parents can sit down and consult with Dr. Sona to ask questions about infant oral health care and about how to avoid problems such as cavities and instill age appropriate habits as the child grows and develops.
Typically, within the first six months to a year, infants will go through the process of teething. This is when their baby teeth, called the primary teeth, begin to break through the gums. Typically, the bottom two front teeth come in first, followed by the top two front teeth. However, this can vary with every child. By the age of three years, many children have all 20 primary teeth in place.
During this time, infants may be extremely fussy and temperamental. This is perfectly normal during teething. As soon as parents notice the first teeth breaking through the gum line, they are encouraged to schedule their child's first dental appointment. This is also recommended by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. By the age one, children should see a Pediatric Dentist for a thorough evaluation and to connect with the children's dentist who will follow them and be a role model through their oral health journey.
There are many tips Dr. Sona may give parents regarding their infant's oral health and dental care.
- Schedule their first dental appointment as soon as the first teeth erupt. (FREE appointments with Dr. Sona until 14 months of age)
- Avoid giving bottles of milk or juice before bed, as this increases the risk of developing dental caries (cavities).
- Before teeth come through, use a wet, clean washcloth to clean the gums after feedings.
- Introduce the child to the toothbrush early and use non-fluoride toothpaste until they are old enough to avoid swallowing their toothpaste.
- Contact the dentist with any concerns that may arise between regular 6 month recall appointments.
- Learn how to adequately brush (and floss) your child's teeth.
- Children's Dentistry of Greensboro - Children's dentistry in family practice of Greensboro delivers specialized treatment for younger patients
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Greensboro - Children and teens have a more pleasant experience with pediatric sedation dentistry in Greensboro
- Greensboro Pediatric Dentistry - Greensboro pediatric dentist provides oral care health tips for children
- Dentist for Children in Greensboro - Feel good choosing a dentist for your children in Greensboro
- Dental Cavities in Children Greensboro - Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteria
- Cavity Causing Food in Kids Greensboro - Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in Greensboro
- Misaligned Teeth in Kids Greensboro - Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurt
- Braces for Children Greensboro - Early evaluation for braces helps children in Greensboro enjoy happy, healthy smiles
- Oral Health and Childhood Obesity in Greensboro - Dentist in Greensboro describes the link between oral health and childhood obesity
- Causes and Treatment for Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) in NC - Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC area
- Care of Your Child’s Teeth and Gums Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes how to take care of your child’s teeth and gums
- Preventing Cavities in Stokes NC - Pediatric Dentist in Stokes NC advices children and parents on methods of preventing cavities
- Greensboro Dentist a Fun Place for Kids - Greensboro Dentist makes the practice a fun place for kids
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes ways of preventing childhood obesity
- Infant Oral Health Greensboro - Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area Dentist
- Your Child's First Dental Visit Greensboro - What you can expect during your child's first dental visit in our Greensboro Pediatric Dental Office
- Eruption of Your Child's Teeth Greensboro - Greensboro area
Dentist describes the eruption of your child's teeth
- What is the Best Time for Orthodontic Treatment
Greensboro - Greensboro area patients ask, what is the best
time for Orthodontic Treatment?
- Child Friendly Dentistry Greensboro - Seeking child friendly
dentistry in Greensboro
- Kids Dentist Greensboro - How a dentist in Greensboro
can help with your kid's toothache
- Pediatric Dentist Greensboro - When should I bring my
child in for their first pediatric dentist appointment in
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page