Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteriaPediatric dentistry is somewhat different from general dentistry for adults. During these formative years, children deserve to learn that caring for their teeth and gums does not have to be an unpleasant chore. Dr. Sona and her team go to great lengths to make our young patients feel comfortable while they are assessed for cavities and other dental conditions.
We believe that the more fun dental care is for kids, the more they can learn about how to avoid problems with dental cavities. In children in the Greensboro area and beyond, cavities are the leading disease in the body. Our goal is to help our patients understand what causes cavities and how to prevent them.
Most adults, when they were young, learned that cavities are linked to sugar. The unspoken assumption for many is that cavities are caused by sugary foods and beverages. While a good rule of thumb is to avoid too much sugar in the diet, the truth is that cavities are caused by oral bacteria.
Bacteria are a natural occurrence in the human body. In the mouth alone are hundreds of different types of bacteria. These microorganisms can be kept in a healthy balance with good lifestyle habits, healthy food choices, and excellent oral hygiene. When lifestyle, oral hygiene, or diet become inconsistent, the imbalance in the flora of the mouth makes bacteria accumulate in the mouth, leaving acidic byproducts on teeth, which promotes cavities.
Cavity prevention is straightforward for the most part. Dr. Sona educates her patients on the ways to reduce oral bacteria through effective oral hygiene practices and healthy eating habits. The activities that aid in the prevention of cavities will differ based on the age of the patient. For instance, parents are responsible for the care of their infant's oral health. Even before teeth erupt, bacteria are present in the mouth. Oral hygiene before the eruption of teeth consists of gently cleaning the gums and tongue with a moist, soft cloth. Once children become more responsible for their own brushing and flossing, parental supervision, guidance, and encouragement ensure that oral hygiene is performed sufficiently for optimal results.
Our team tailors care, including cavity prevention, to your child's needs. Call (336) 804 8668 today to schedule your consultation.
- Children's Dentistry of Greensboro - Children's dentistry in family practice of Greensboro delivers specialized treatment for younger patients
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Greensboro - Children and teens have a more pleasant experience with pediatric sedation dentistry in Greensboro
- Greensboro Pediatric Dentistry - Greensboro pediatric dentist provides oral care health tips for children
- Dentist for Children in Greensboro - Feel good choosing a dentist for your children in Greensboro
- Dental Cavities in Children Greensboro - Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteria
- Cavity Causing Food in Kids Greensboro - Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in Greensboro
- Misaligned Teeth in Kids Greensboro - Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurt
- Braces for Children Greensboro - Early evaluation for braces helps children in Greensboro enjoy happy, healthy smiles
- Oral Health and Childhood Obesity in Greensboro - Dentist in Greensboro describes the link between oral health and childhood obesity
- Causes and Treatment for Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) in NC - Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC area
- Care of Your Child’s Teeth and Gums Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes how to take care of your child’s teeth and gums
- Preventing Cavities in Stokes NC - Pediatric Dentist in Stokes NC advices children and parents on methods of preventing cavities
- Greensboro Dentist a Fun Place for Kids - Greensboro Dentist makes the practice a fun place for kids
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes ways of preventing childhood obesity
- Infant Oral Health Greensboro - Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area Dentist
- Your Child's First Dental Visit Greensboro - What you can expect during your child's first dental visit in our Greensboro Pediatric Dental Office
- Eruption of Your Child's Teeth Greensboro - Greensboro area
Dentist describes the eruption of your child's teeth
- What is the Best Time for Orthodontic Treatment
Greensboro - Greensboro area patients ask, what is the best
time for Orthodontic Treatment?
- Child Friendly Dentistry Greensboro - Seeking child friendly
dentistry in Greensboro
- Kids Dentist Greensboro - How a dentist in Greensboro
can help with your kid's toothache
- Pediatric Dentist Greensboro - When should I bring my
child in for their first pediatric dentist appointment in
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page