Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in GreensboroA statement most adults can remember hearing sometime during their childhood, "you are what you eat," actually has a lot of merit. The foods and beverages that we regularly consume will most definitely have a direct impact on the condition of our teeth and gums, as well as on our general health. If the foods we choose are healthy, containing vital nutrients, our teeth, bones, and body will be stronger. If, our food choices aren't so great, we are weakening our overall immunity against disease, including cavities.
If a child, or even an adult, were asked to name a cavity-causing food, the primary answer would like be sugar. In our kids' dentistry practice in Greensboro, we do encourage moderation with sugary treats. The reason is not that sugar causes teeth to decay but because sugar is what oral bacteria feed on before they leave acidic byproduct on teeth.
Cavities are the direct result of acid. The acidic waste of oral bacteria remains on enamel, slowly breaking it down until a pit forms. In the small pit, more acid can build up and eat away at the tooth, causing a cavity.
The unfortunate fact about sugar is that it is lurking in many of the foods and beverages kids enjoy on a daily basis. Because it is nearly impossible to avoid all forms of sugar in our diet, brushing and flossing are crucial to the prevention of cavities. When teeth are brushed and flossed daily as recommended, the food source of aggressive oral bacteria is reduced and their activity decreases.
In addition to avoiding cavities by limiting oral bacteria, there are choices that can be made to build stronger teeth, such as providing kids with plenty of crunchy vegetable snacks that will naturally clean tooth surfaces from plaque and bacteria. Kids can and should learn to love water! With the various recipes for healthy, fruit-infused water available, this task can be much easier.
It is our hope to educate and empower our patients to enjoy lifelong oral health. We are happy to discuss beneficial foods and to demonstrate brushing techniques in support of your goals for your child's smile.
Contact us at (336) 804 8668 to schedule your child's visit with Dr. Isharani.
- Children's Dentistry of Greensboro - Children's dentistry in family practice of Greensboro delivers specialized treatment for younger patients
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Greensboro - Children and teens have a more pleasant experience with pediatric sedation dentistry in Greensboro
- Greensboro Pediatric Dentistry - Greensboro pediatric dentist provides oral care health tips for children
- Dentist for Children in Greensboro - Feel good choosing a dentist for your children in Greensboro
- Dental Cavities in Children Greensboro - Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteria
- Cavity Causing Food in Kids Greensboro - Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in Greensboro
- Misaligned Teeth in Kids Greensboro - Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurt
- Braces for Children Greensboro - Early evaluation for braces helps children in Greensboro enjoy happy, healthy smiles
- Oral Health and Childhood Obesity in Greensboro - Dentist in Greensboro describes the link between oral health and childhood obesity
- Causes and Treatment for Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) in NC - Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC area
- Care of Your Child’s Teeth and Gums Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes how to take care of your child’s teeth and gums
- Preventing Cavities in Stokes NC - Pediatric Dentist in Stokes NC advices children and parents on methods of preventing cavities
- Greensboro Dentist a Fun Place for Kids - Greensboro Dentist makes the practice a fun place for kids
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes ways of preventing childhood obesity
- Infant Oral Health Greensboro - Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area Dentist
- Your Child's First Dental Visit Greensboro - What you can expect during your child's first dental visit in our Greensboro Pediatric Dental Office
- Eruption of Your Child's Teeth Greensboro - Greensboro area
Dentist describes the eruption of your child's teeth
- What is the Best Time for Orthodontic Treatment
Greensboro - Greensboro area patients ask, what is the best
time for Orthodontic Treatment?
- Child Friendly Dentistry Greensboro - Seeking child friendly
dentistry in Greensboro
- Kids Dentist Greensboro - How a dentist in Greensboro
can help with your kid's toothache
- Pediatric Dentist Greensboro - When should I bring my
child in for their first pediatric dentist appointment in
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page