Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC areaBruxism, also known as teeth grinding, is a condition that can affect patients in NC and have a dramatic negative impact on their natural teeth, as well as result in many other side effects of the body. This condition causes patients to tighten and grind their teeth—typically overnight—which can cause unwanted wear and tear on tooth enamel as well as headaches, poor sleep, and pain around the neck and jaw area.
Many patients who learn about this condition want to know the suspected causes and treatment options for teeth grinding. It is believed that bruxism often stems from stress and anxiety, though other patients who have misaligned bites may also experience this problem. Dentists such as Dr. Steven Hatcher are often the first to bring up the possibility of bruxism to patients when he sees the wear on the natural teeth—the telltale sign that teeth grinding is occurring when patients least expect it.
Once patients speak with Dr. Steven Hatcher and realize that they are struggling with the condition, it is time to discuss treatments for teeth grinding. Treatment often considered of oral appliance therapy. A specialized mouth guard is made to fit precisely over the dental arch and is worn at night to not only reduce pressure in the mouth but to protect the natural teeth and restorations from breaking. This often occurs to patients who deal with bruxism because the pressure of the jaw can cause bridges, veneers, crowns, and other porcelain restorations to crack, break, or fall off of the natural tooth structure. This is another indication that patients may be dealing with teeth grinding.
Oral appliance therapy will often protect the patients from experiencing damage to the smile. However, the source of the problem must be addressed. For patients with stress or anxiety-based bruxism, it is important for these individuals to find a way to access peace and calmness in their lives. These patients may want to try exercise, changes to their diet, or even counseling and therapy if stress and anxiety is beginning to consume their life. Patients with misaligned smiles might also want to discuss with Dr. Steven Hatcher the possibility of undergoing orthodontics to get teeth in more desirable positioning for better function.
- Children's Dentistry of Greensboro - Children's dentistry in family practice of Greensboro delivers specialized treatment for younger patients
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Greensboro - Children and teens have a more pleasant experience with pediatric sedation dentistry in Greensboro
- Greensboro Pediatric Dentistry - Greensboro pediatric dentist provides oral care health tips for children
- Dentist for Children in Greensboro - Feel good choosing a dentist for your children in Greensboro
- Dental Cavities in Children Greensboro - Prevention of dental cavities in children in our office near Greensboro targets oral bacteria
- Cavity Causing Food in Kids Greensboro - Sugar is not the only cavity-causing food discussed in kids' dentistry in Greensboro
- Misaligned Teeth in Kids Greensboro - Correcting misaligned teeth in kids, your Greensboro Dentist may take advantage of that growth spurt
- Braces for Children Greensboro - Early evaluation for braces helps children in Greensboro enjoy happy, healthy smiles
- Oral Health and Childhood Obesity in Greensboro - Dentist in Greensboro describes the link between oral health and childhood obesity
- Causes and Treatment for Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) in NC - Causes and treatment for teeth grinding (Bruxism) in NC area
- Care of Your Child’s Teeth and Gums Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes how to take care of your child’s teeth and gums
- Preventing Cavities in Stokes NC - Pediatric Dentist in Stokes NC advices children and parents on methods of preventing cavities
- Greensboro Dentist a Fun Place for Kids - Greensboro Dentist makes the practice a fun place for kids
- Preventing Childhood Obesity Greensboro - Greensboro area Dentist describes ways of preventing childhood obesity
- Infant Oral Health Greensboro - Understanding infant oral health with assistance from a Greensboro area Dentist
- Your Child's First Dental Visit Greensboro - What you can expect during your child's first dental visit in our Greensboro Pediatric Dental Office
- Eruption of Your Child's Teeth Greensboro - Greensboro area
Dentist describes the eruption of your child's teeth
- What is the Best Time for Orthodontic Treatment
Greensboro - Greensboro area patients ask, what is the best
time for Orthodontic Treatment?
- Child Friendly Dentistry Greensboro - Seeking child friendly
dentistry in Greensboro
- Kids Dentist Greensboro - How a dentist in Greensboro
can help with your kid's toothache
- Pediatric Dentist Greensboro - When should I bring my
child in for their first pediatric dentist appointment in
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page